Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pumping at Work….

The first day at work was torturous. I purposely take half-day leave to ensure I have ample time to adjust to the working environment again. With lots of jobs to be done I guess I just want to take a slow and steady approach towards them. Another thing that bothered my mind before was pumping at work. Eventhough I’m not breastfeed exclusively but I make sure Raiqa takes breast milk most of the time.

To summarize the whole pumping experience at work:-

1. You have to carry extra weight for breast pump in your handbag.
2. You have to take a pump-break every 3 hours and each session will last around 30mins or more (in my case)
3. It’s a messy business..seriously


But for the sake of Raiqa, I’m not giving up. Here are some tips on what to expect or what you should be ready with if you plan to pump at work:-

1. Prepare your bag at night. Make sure you have everything ready in place. I usually bring one breast pump, 2 storage bottles to keep the milk while pumping, milk storage plastics, cooler bags, permanent marker pen to label the milk, breast pads, tissue, hands sanitizer and your baby’s picture or clothing to stimulate the letdown (I sometimes use Raiqa’s pictures or videos)..
2. Wear front-buttoned shirt or loose blouse for easy access to the breasts. Nursing bra is HIGHLY recommended.
3. When I go into nursing room I would bring water, tidbits (sometimes), newspaper and my Blackberry to ensure I have something to do while pumping.
4. Take breakfast in the morning. Drink a lot of water and pump after meals.
5. Make sure your hands and equipment are clean.
6. While you are pumping, if you see that supply is slowing down, don’t think too much about it. This is the time when you have to stimulate your breasts. I usually massage the breasts while looking/watching at Raiqa’s pictures/videos. I imagine nursing Raiqa and don’t forget to keep smiling. It works like a miracle to me. For those who use single pump, switch side.
7. When finish, I always wipe around the residual milk to the nipple (sometimes I put my PureLan nipple cream with a lil bit of breastmilk) and let it dry while I’m busy packing up the equipments. This is to avoid the nipple from become dry and cracked. Change breast pads, label and store the milk in the cooler bag. DONE!
8. When I reach home, I quickly put the milk in the freezer.

To all working moms, this is quite challenging if you work with company which don’t understand the importance of breast milk to babies. I am grateful to be allowed to pump at work. Thanks to Mercedes-Benz Malaysia and my 2 favourite guys!

I wish to all working mother who pump at office; all the best and be proud of yourself for being so strong and determined to give the best to your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment